Company: American Trails
Posted on: June 10, 2021
Posted: June 01, 2021
Location: Leadville, Colorado
Time Commitment: 8-12 month contract (subject to
negotiation). Potential for future long-term employment depending
on COBS facility needs and budget.
The Facilities Director is a member of the Colorado Outward
Bound Schools Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and reports to the
Executive Director. The Facilities Director is responsible for the
Colorado Outward Bound Schools (COBS) long-range strategic vision
and planning for COBSs three basecamp facilities (Leadville,
Colorado; Marble, Colorado; and Moab, Utah), ensuring safe facility
operations across all locations, schedule and budgets for ongoing
maintenance and repair, and support for new construction and
This is an administrative (50%) and hands-on (50%) position, and
requires experience with people and project management, financial
planning, and understanding of construction, repair and
maintenance. The primary work location is flexible but requires
frequent travel to COBSs basecamp facilities in Leadville, Marble,
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Planning and overseeing COBSs short-term facilities
- Building and implementing strategy and maintenance plan to
ensure long-range sustainability of COBS facilities. Specific
duties include analysis of facilities, buildings, and
infrastructure to identify safety concerns and necessary repairs;
development of annual maintenance plan and five-year maintenance
plan and budget; and development of systems and tools to track
maintenance, repairs, and budget.
- Collaborating with the SLT and Program Operations Team to
support COBSs long-range strategy and initiatives. Advising the SLT
and Programs Operations Team on short- and long-term facilities
priorities, needs, and resources, including long-term budget
- Implementing and/or building out effective Computerized
Maintenance Management System (CMMS) platform for COBSs facility
management, maintenance, record-keeping, and budgeting.
- Supervising, training, and overseeing 2-4 person on-site
facilities team based in Leadville, Colorado and Moab, Utah in
conjunction with Rocky Mountain and Southwest Program
- Identifying, hiring, and overseeing all necessary outside
- Ensuring schedule of preventative, routine, and emergency
maintenance for all COBS facilities, including oversight of
building, water testing and treatment, maintenance and safety
- As needed, serving as primary facilities manager for COBS
currently inactive basecamp in Marble, Colorado, including limited
opening of basecamp facilities for Summer 2021 and winterization of
basecamp facilities for Winter 2021-2022.
- Ensuring compliance with all safety regulations, potentially
acting as OSHA representative for sites.
- Supporting other local facility projects and needs as assigned,
including, but not limited to, supervision and on-site management
of capital improvements.
- Promoting and enhancing a culture of safety and risk mitigation
at COBS facilities, providing training and instruction on best
practices as needed.
- Upholding and following all federal, state, and COBS safety
laws, regulations, and policies; where necessary, drafting
additional COBS safety policies related to facilities
- Being on-call for emergencies outside of standard working
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Strong leadership and organizational skills. Ability to work
both independently with
minimal oversight and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects
simultaneously while maintaining
attention to detail.
- Demonstrated collaboration and listening skills.
- Demonstrated history of project planning and execution; ability
to listen, collaborate, conduct needs assessments, and
- Strong forecasting and budgeting skills for both financial
budget and time management.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite including a solid
working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Proficiency creating and delivering complex reports.
- Experience implementing and using CMMS.
- Ability to obtain and retain all necessary operator's licenses,
certifications or permits.
- Acceptable driving record with experience in large vehicles
- Experience using, training, operating, and fixing heavy
- Experience managing inventory of equipment, vehicles, tools,
- Comfort working with a diverse team of individuals who may have
different backgrounds and beliefs to your own
- Minimum of 5 years of facilities-related experience required,
including at least 2 years of management experience.
- Proven track record of management, supervisory
responsibilities, and project planning and management.
- Ability to obtain OSHA 30 certification, CPR certification,
First Aid certification, and Bloodborne Pathogens
- Facilities Management Professional (FMP) or Certified Facility
Manager (CFM) certifications preferred.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
Bachelors degree from a four-year college or university
- Ability to bend, lift, kneel, crawl, and carry and lift 50
- Must be able to work around construction sites including
underground, confined spaces, at heights and above ground.
- Requires sitting at a desk or computer at least 30% of the
- Must be able to drive to and among facility locations,
including drive times of approximately 6 hours.
Salary and Benefits
Interim position on an 8-12 month contract (subject to
negotiation). Potential for future long-term employment depending
on COBS facility needs and budget. This is a full-time, benefited
position. COBS offers a generous Medical, Dental, and Vision
package, with access to Short- and Long-term Disability, Life and
Accident Insurance, Prodeals, and a number of fringe benefit
programs, in addition to sick, and personal time. Annualized Salary
Range: $68,000 - $74,000.
Application materials including a resume, cover letter, and at
least two references should be addressed to Lauren Schmidt,
Executive Director (she/her). Apply with Indeed here .
Colorado Outward Bound School celebrates diversity and
strives to create an inclusive environment for all employees. We
are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the
basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, nation origin, age, genetic information,
disability, veteran status, or any other basis covered by
appropriate law. All employment is based on qualifications and
Diversity American Trails advances the development of diverse,
high quality trails and greenways for the benefit of people and
Keywords: American Trails, Vail , Facilities Director, Other , Leadville, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!