Advanced Cook - The 10th - Winter Seasonal - Vail Mountain
Company: Vail Resorts
Posted on: October 25, 2018
Reach Your Peak at Vail Resorts. You're someone who pushes boundaries and challenges the status quo. You're brave, ambitious and passionate in everything you do. And we want you on our team. Pursue your fullest potential and never settle in the quest to deliver extraordinary guest service. Join one of the world's most innovative companies and re-imagine a mountain resort experience with us. Welcome to Vail Resorts. Reach Your Peak.
The 10th, Vail's critically acclaimed on-mountain fine-dining restaurant is looking for an ADVANCED COOK to join our outstanding restaurant staff. The 10th serves an upscale sit-down lunch daily, complete with a boot room for guests to enjoy slippers while they dine! Located at the top of Gondola One at Mid-Vail, The 10th is accessed either by ski-in and ski-out during the day or via Vails brand new high tech Gondola One. Modern. Alpine. Inspired. The 10th redefines classic alpine cuisine and elevates service to new standards in Vail.
In addition, this candidate must demonstrate advanced cooking and knife skills in different stations (saut--, grill, pizza, garde manger and expo) and always have a sense of urgency. This individual will be responsible for ownership and execution of the designated meal service, first tracks (breakfast) including and not limited to: deputizing other kitchen crew members and assisting the ware house team & dish area crew members when needed. We are looking for those who thrive on the fast paced hum of the kitchen and find the greatest reward in seeing the joy that an amazing meal provides their guests.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Demonstrates proficiency in all areas of the kitchen including stations, menu/ingredients, equipment operation, safety & sanitation and daily operations.
- Expedites food, solves problems as they arise, and approaches special requests with flexibility
- Responsible for overall preparation, execution and breakdown of the designated meal service.
- Ensures station is ready for service with adequate mise en place for the day and next days service
- Ensures all team members are properly equipped with uniforms, supplies and tools
- Maintains an organized and efficient flow of production with regards to changes in forecasts and menus
- Ability to butcher chicken, fish and shellfish; cut, trim and bone meat
- Determining pars for next shift and ensuring prep is sufficient. Adjust production levels to meet forecast demands
- Trains new cooks and ensures development of team members through on-going training and effective communication.
- Responsible for cleaning up your station and ensuring the kitchen floors, shelves, walk in coolers, walk in freezers, reach ins, low boys, recycle area, loading dock and store room areas are closed down up to standards every day prior to departing for the day upon checking out with the sous chef.
- Recognizes team members for successful achievements and contributions
- Coaches team members immediately and professionally to minimize deficiencies and provide encouragement
- Responsible for inventories to enable team members to successfully prepare mise en place
- Consistently checks temperatures in foods and follows proper procedures in regard to chilling, re-heating and holding food
- Maintains and reports waste log to supervisors on a daily/weekly basis
- Checks outlet(s) upon arrival to determine status of outstanding safety or equipment issues and communicates any concerns to supervisor
- Checks outlet(s) prior to leaving to ensure cleanliness, equipment shutdown, proper disposal/removal of food and proper storing and labeling
- Ensures proper rotation, storage temperatures and proper storing procedures are observed
- Keeps Supervisors apprised of hits/misses from each shift
- Delegates workload to team members fairly and consistently while continually striving to improve flow of production
- Demonstrates advanced knife skills such as brunoise, julienne, batons, consistent shape/size for core knife skills (dice, slice, chop)
- Has experience working with higher end ingredients such as scratch pasta preparation, risotto preparation, lamb, venison, scallops, sole, Ahi tuna, caviar
- Demonstrates proficiency in more advanced culinary techniques of saute and grilling, as well as poaching, steaming, braising, preparation of Mother sauces, scratch soup preparation
- Applies a variety of culinary techniques and practices
- Maintains stock levels throughout day
- May be responsible for training employees
- Ensures all coolers, freezers and walk-ins are maintained to the companys, local health inspectors food safety standards and HACCP standards, including daily logging of refrigerator and freezer temperatures.
- Date all food products containers and rotate as per FIFO, making sure that all perishables are kept at proper temperatures.
- Ability to wash dishes and jump into the dish area and/or 3 compartment sink when needed.
- Two Year minimum line cooking experience in a fine dining and high volume establishment - required.
- Must possess the following key essential qualities - adaptability, flexibility, positive attitude, even temperament and a keen eye for detail. -required
- High school diploma or equivalent. -required
- Must be able to lift 40+ lbs. -required
- Ability to speak read and write in English. -required
- Ability to work standing for 8+ hours. -required
- Must be 18 years of age or older. -required
- Flexibility in scheduling, ability to work weekends and holidays including: Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, December 23rd to January 4th, Presidents Day Weekend and other holidays as requested. -required
- Formal Culinary Training. -preferred
- ServeSafe or Food Handlers certification (or be able to attain) - required
- Progressive culinary experience working in a kitchen with an emphasis in fine dining and high volume. -preferred
- High Volume Fine Dining Experience preferred
- In-person interview or Skype interview required
Learn More About:
The 10th: http://www.the10thvail.com
Vail Mountain Dining: http://www.vail.com/mountain/on-mountain-dining.aspx?page=viewall
Grooming Policy: http://jobs.vailresorts.com/info/company-policies.aspx
Be a part of the resort where it all started. Imagine belonging to a team that delivers the life of luxury to its guests while infusing the mountain lifestyle in every experience. Are you someone that never settles for second best? Take your mountain exploration to the next level and join a passionate group of people who thrive on extraordinary customer service. Come help us deliver unparalleled adventures in a place that is unrivaled and unflinching. Join the team at Vail a place thats Like Nothing on Earth. www.vailresortscareers.com
Vail Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Requisition ID 156507
Keywords: Vail Resorts, Vail , Advanced Cook - The 10th - Winter Seasonal - Vail Mountain, Hospitality & Tourism , Vail, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!